Thursday, January 13, 2011

Inspiration from a master








I took these pix several weeks ago at the new Burchfield-Penney gallery on Elmwood. Ever since my days as West Seneca Bee editor I've been interested in Charles Burchfield's work, especially since his original home is around the block and not too far from my very own abode.

The two on the bottom show Burchfield's actual studio, recreated piece by piece inside the gallery. The third shows jars of his handmade paints.

The fourth (the one at the top left) is Burchfield's artistic rendering of "The Horn Call from Sibelius' Fifth." That one really got me thinking - how to capture music on paper. How to visually represent something meant to be an auditory experience. What does the brain "see" when it hears music? What do you imagine when listening to a favorite song? Watch for some creations to that effect in the coming weeks :)

No comments:

Post a Comment